9 October 2011

... a silver clay pendant

I recently started a metal clay jewellery course at the Art Academy. Metal clay is made of microscopic particles of precious metal (like silver or gold) mixed with an organic binder and water, making it into a moldable paste that can be worked with your hands, rolled out, cut and textured using anything from lace and wallpaper to leaves. When fired, the binder and water evaporate, and the metal particles sinter together, leaving a piece of solid silver.
In the first class we experimented with Fimo modelling clay, and last week I had my first go at using the real material (Art Clay). The clay feels cold and heavy, and you have to dab your work surface and roller with oil, so that it doesn't stick. It also dries out quite quickly, which means you have to work quite fast. I found a large rubber stamp, the pattern of which I liked, and saw the shape of a pendant in it, which I decided to cut out. I then cut a little 'window' into it and put it on the hotplate to dry. As this was a small piece of jewellery, we torch-fired it, rather than using a kiln. Unfortunately, my piece wasn't quite dry enough and had two traces of water in it when I fired it, so it cracked slightly in two places - next time I'll make sure it's completely dry, although I think the cracks give my piece a bit of 'edge'...
Next week it's rings and I can't wait - I have too many ideas already!

No comments:

Post a Comment